Personal Injury and Immigration Lawyers

Need a Ride? How to Get a Rental After Your Car Accident

On Behalf of | Oct 6, 2022 | Firm News

One of the first questions you may ask yourself after getting into an accident is, “What am I going to drive now?” With that question other concerns may arise such as trying to figure out how you will get to work, drop off the kids at school, and run your errands. While there are alternatives such as public transportation and rideshare, those options may not be as suitable or affordable. The best way to get back on the road is to have another vehicle to drive for some time. Before you beg someone to loan you a vehicle, make sure you qualify for a car rental through insurance. Our property damage experts answer your questions about the process of getting a rental after an accident.

How soon can I get a rental?

The quickest way to get a rental vehicle is through your own insurance; this is also called first-party insurance. You may only be able to do this if you have rental under your policy. If you cannot use first party insurance, your only option is to wait for the insurance of the person who hit you, referred to as third-party insurance, to accept liability or responsibility for the accident. Please know that third party insurance needs to have some time to do their investigation. There’s no way of knowing how long it will take until they accept liability and it’s not under our control. Only after liability is accepted, you may be able to get a rental through third party insurance.

What are my options?

You may have rental under your own insurance and want them to get you a rental, or perhaps you prefer third party to handle everything. Our job is to put all of your options on the table so that you may decide what’s most convenient for you. Please be advised that if you do ask your insurance to give you a rental, they may want to take care of the property damage portion as well.

What are the requirements to get a rental?

Whether you choose to use third party insurance or first party insurance, there are a few requirements in order to get a rental.

Have a valid driver’s license from the United States *Driver licenses given in other countries won’t be accepted. Have a credit card to your name *Rental companies will want to charge a refundable deposit and use your card to pay for any damages to the rental vehicle. Be at least 21 years of age *Rental companies may charge you extra fines and give you restrictions if you are under 25 years of age.

Please know that these protocols and policies are set by the rental companies. We are happy to assist you and offer you legal representation, even if you don’t qualify for a rental.

What happens if my vehicle is a total loss?

If third party hasn’t determined that it’s a total loss, but they already accepted liability, they may give you a rental for up to three days maximum. If they do determine it’s a total loss and then accept liability, they may not give you a rental. While this is generally what happens, we can always ask in your behalf if third party would give you a rental or see if they would allow an extension to your existing rental, but no guarantees. Also know that some adjusters may want to see the vehicle before accepting liability.

How long can I keep my rental?

If your vehicle isn’t a total loss, you may be able to keep your rental car for some time. Only the insurance company is able to dictate how long you may be able to keep the rental and if you qualify for an extension.

Please know that this is a general idea of how renting a vehicle works, but it can change depending on the insurance company. Do you have any more questions? Schedule your FREE consultation today with Dang Law Group at 512-648-3378. Our experts will guide you through this process, deal with the insurance companies for you and get you back on the road.

Tagged Car Accident

DWI? No Way! Avoid a Costly Mistake On New Year’s Eve